|Nutella Buns (Rolls) with Pecans and Cinnamon |
Cuisine: American, German
Author: Kirsten | My Kitchen in the Rockies, Saveur
Prep time: 25 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
Total time: 55 mins
- 1 (1/4 oz, 7.1 g) package active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) water, lukewarm
- 1/4 cup (50g) organic sugar, plus 1 tsp. sugar
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) organic milk
- 9 Tablespoons (127 g) unsalted organic butter, softened, plus more for greasing
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 organic eggs, at room temp.
- 4 cups organic flour, plus more for dusting
- 3/4 cup (120 g) organic brown sugar
- 2/3 cup (70 g) coarsely chopped pecans
- 1 1/2 cups (440 g) Nutella, heated just a little for easier spreading
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Stir sugar and yeast into the lukewarm water until dissolved. Set aside for about 10 minutes and until the yeast has developed a foamy topping.
- Heat the milk up to simmering. Let cool for a few minutes. Combine with 4 tablespoons (57 g) of melted butter, sugar, salt, 2 eggs and vanilla extract.
- In a bigger bowl combine 3 1/2 cups of flour, yeast mixture and milk mixture until a shaggy mess forms. (watch*)
- Transfer dough to a wooden floured board, add more of the remaining flour and knead the dough until smooth and elastic, about 6-7 minutes.
- Transfer dough into a big greased glass bowl. Cover with plastic foil and let the dough rise in a warmer spot until doubled in size, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours. (I use the proofing setting of my oven)
- In the meantime, melt 5 tablespoons (70 g) of butter and combine it with the brown sugar.
- Grease a 9" x 13" baking dish.
- Spread brown sugar mixture evenly into the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with chopped pecans. Set dish aside.
- On a floured surface roll out the dough into a 15" x 20" rectangle.
- Spread evenly with Nutella, leaving a 1/2" boarder on one of the long sides.
- Brush the 1/2" boarder with egg mixture from the one remaining egg.
- Roll the dough into a log towards the egg brushed end.
- Trim the edges and cut the log into 12 equal rolls.
- Place rolls with the cut side up into the baking dish.
- (I let my rolls rise for a second time until almost doubled in size to add more fluffiness. The Saveur recipe doesn't ask for a second rise. You decide!)
- Preheat your oven to 375 F.
- Sprinkle rolls with cinnamon and bake until golden brown, about 30 minutes.
- Let cool slightly and serve inverted onto plates. Add some of the sugar pecan mixture for topping.
Prep. time does not include the time for the yeast dough to rise.
*Easy to follow yeast dough prep. instruction videos can be found at King Arthur Flour (baking skill videos).
Recipe by My Kitchen in the Rockies | A Denver, Colorado Food Blog at http://www.mykitchenintherockies.com/2013/01/27/nutella-buns-rolls-with-pecans-and-cinnamon/