Don’t we all want to come home to a meal that is already waiting for us? Inviting us into the house with its irresistible smell? Imagine the table is set, the wine pored and the candles are lit. Wouldn’t that be a dream come true?
For me it would. Especially after an evening freezing while watching my son’s soccer game. Unfortunately, we all don’t live in a perfect world and therefore dinners are not appearing on us out of the nowhere. But, you can almost make it happen with a dish like this one, a Tomato Basil Quiche.
This Tomato Basil Quiche can be assembled ahead, and baking in the oven while you are changing into your comfy clothing and pouring yourself an aperitif.
Prepared with gruyere, tomatoes, basil and a little help of a bought pie crust (in case you are really short in time) your dinner will be calling from the kitchen faster than expected. It will be a dream come true!
I would recommend using fresh tomatoes and basil from your farmers market for an even sweeter and better taste. Serve this Tomato Basil Quiche with a simple green salad for a dinner that will be devoured by everybody. I will guarantee no leftovers! Give it a try.
This Tomato Basil Quiche is already a keeper recipe in my household.
|Tomato Basil Quiche|| |
- pie crust: (or use store bought)
- 2 cups 1½ Tablespoons (250 g ) organic flour
- 1 organic eggs
- ½ cup 1 Tablespoon (125g) unsalted organic butter cut in small pieces
- 1-2 Tablespoons (15 - 30 ml) ice water
- 21 ounces (600 g) organic tomatoes, sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, sliced
- 4 organic eggs
- ¾ cup 2 Tablespoons (200 g) organic heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) creme fraiche (or sour cream)
- a pinch ground caraway seeds
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- * 7 ounces (200 g) Gruyere, cut into smaller cubes
- Preheat your oven to 400 F (200 C) Convection. Grease a 10 inch (26 cm) spring pan.
- Prepare pie crust with flour, pinch of salt, 1 egg, cold butter and ice water in a food processor. Let rest in fridge for ½ hour.
- In a bowl mix together the eggs, cream, creme fraiche, salt, pepper and caraway. Set aside.
- Roll out your dough and place it into the pan. You need a rim about 1.5 inches (3 to 4 cm) up the sides of the pan.
- Evenly distribute the cheese on top of the crust. Place the tomatoes on top and sprinkle with basil. Pour the egg mixture evenly over the tomatoes.
- Bake the quiche for 40 minutes or until golden brown and the egg mixture is set.