Last Tuesday I was cooking with my friend Lesley for her book club dinner. She decided to serve roasted veggie rice bake for the main dish and I suggested brown butter raspberry tart for dessert. This tart was one of the first recipes I ever blogged about almost three years ago. It is one of my family’s absolute favorite desserts, but unfortunately, the recipe got lost for all of you my readers during my blog move. This delectable cake has a perfect mixture of tart raspberries, and a sweet, crunchy, buttery short bread crust. The brown butter adds a nutty flavor to the berry filling.
As soon as my teens overheard that brown butter raspberry tart was being baked they wanted a tart as well. I promised them their own brown butter raspberry tart for the weekend. The pictures you see is of the cake my family enjoyed.
This brown butter raspberry tart would be an outstanding treat to bring to any Memorial day weekend get together. It is simple to make (no mixer necessary), keeps and travels well and will be gone in a flash since everyone just loves it!
|Brown Butter Raspberry Tart|| || |
- 7 tablespoons (100g) unsalted butter, melted
- ⅓ cup (70 g) sugar
- ¼ teaspoon (1.25 ml) vanilla extract
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon (125 g) all purpose flour
- Pinch of salt
- ½ cup (100 g) sugar
- 2 large eggs
- Pinch of salt
- ¼ cup (30 g) all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) vanilla extract
- ½ cup (1 stick, 113 g) unsalted butter, diced
- 12 ounces (340 g) fresh raspberries
- Preheat your oven to 375 F.
- Butter a 9 inch tart pan with removable bottom. A spring form would work just fine, too.
- Place the butter for the filling in a smaller light sauce pan and heat on low to medium until the butter is melted to a golden brown. Be careful, the butter could turn black very quickly. Set aside.
- In a bowl using a spatula or even just a fork mix together all the ingredients for the crust.
- Press the crust dough evenly into the pan bottom and up the sides.
- Bake the crust for 18 minutes or until golden brown. *Check notes. Remove from the oven.
- In the meantime prepare the filling. Place all the filling ingredients, including the browned butter, into a bowl and mix well.
- Place the raspberries with open sides on the bottom evenly onto the crust.
- Pour the filling over the raspberries.
- Bake tart for about 40 minutes or until done and golden brown. **Check notes.
Adapted from Bon Appétit | June 2009.