Whenever Mr. Rockies is in charge of dinner you can be sure there will be some kind of Mexican inspired dish on the menu. He is a huge fan of good authentic Mexican cuisine. Today I am sharing with you his world famous stacked green chile chicken enchiladas recipe. This is by no means an authentic Mexican dish, but a very easy to prepare irresistible chicken corn tortilla casserole with a spicy green chili sauce. Stacked green chile chicken enchiladas is an all time favorite at our house. No leftovers, guaranteed!! I urge you to give this casserole a try. I know your family will love it, too.
|Stacked Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas|| |
- 2 organic chicken breasts
- olive oil
- salt and pepper to season
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 Tablespoons flour
- 3 cups (750 ml) chicken broth
- 1 cup (250 ml) green chiles chopped, (we like to use 505 Southwestern)
- 8-12 organic corn tortillas
- ½ cup sharp cheddar, shredded
- ½ onion, cut into rings
- Preheat your oven to 400 F.
- Grease a 9 x 13 Inch rectangular casserole baking dish. Set aside.
- Brush chicken breasts with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast in the oven until done, about 20 to 30 minutes (internal temperature 155 F). Shred and set aside.
- In the meantime heat olive oil in a bigger pan, add the chopped onion and cook until golden brown. Remove from pan. Set aside.
- Add some olive oil in the heated pan, add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds, mix in the flour and whisk in the chicken stock. Make sure you have no lumps. Bring to a boil.
- Take pan from the heat, add chicken, onions, and 505 Southwestern chile to the garlic sauce. Mix well.
- Spread ½ cup of sauce evenly on the bottom of the prepared casserole dish.
- Cover the sauce with 4-6 corn tortillas.
- Pour the chicken mixture evenly over the corn tortillas.
- Layer 4-6 corn tortillas over the filling.
- Top with shredded cheese and onion rings.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 20 mins.
Find more enchilada recipes at Cooking Light.