These homemade organic Cheeze Its are the perfect snack to munch on while watching the playoffs this weekend. Forget the cousins in the box; these homemade crackers are way superior in crunchiness and cheesy taste. They even have an extra spicy kick through the addition of cayenne pepper. Best of all, they are orange in color in support of our Colorado home team, the Denver Broncos who will be facing the New England Patriots in the playoffs here in Denver on Sunday. Go Broncos!
In case you have any leftovers, which I doubt, you could pack them as snacks for your kid’s school lunches. My daughter loves Cheeze Its and I wanted to try this recipe to see if they would be a good substitute for the organic Cheeze Its I sometimes pack for her. I definitely think so. My homemade organic Cheeze Its may not look as professional, but at least I’m able to pronounce all of the ingredients, unlike the ingredients list on the box. Homemade organic Cheeze Its are a winner recipe and a definite keeper snack, which I would highly recommend you try very soon!
|Homemade Organic Cheeze Its|| || |
- 1 cup (120 g) flour
- 8 oz. (226 g) sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 Tablespoons (57 g) cold unsalted butter, cut into squares
- 2 Tablespoons ice water
- Place flour, cheese, salt, cayenne pepper, and paprika in a food processor. Pulse until well combined.
- Add the butter and pulse until butter pieces are pea sized.
- With the food process running add the water. Continue until the mixture forms into a dough ball.
- Wrap the dough ball in plastic wrap and let it rest in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 350 F.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicon pads. Set aside.
- Roll your dough with a rolling pin to the thickness of about ⅛ inch. You can do this on a floured surface or between two sheets of plastic wrap.
- Cut the dough into squares of 1 inch x 1 inch. You can use a knife or a ravioli cutter (for serrated edges).
- Place the squares on the prepared baking sheets. Using a wooden skewer or a fork poke a small hole in the middle of each dough square.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes. Baking times may vary. (My baking time was 18 mins on 350 F Convection.)
- Let the crackers cool and store in air tight container.
Homemade organic Cheeze Its taste fantastic in combination with a mixture of unsalted nuts. The sharp taste of the cheddar also goes especially well with roasted almonds. Give it a try!
The Colorado evening sky looking west towards the Rocky Mountains is often a spectacular sight. Here you can see that even Mother Nature is in full support of our football team painting the sky blue and orange. I took this picture at my house just a couple of nights ago. Go Broncos!
Recipe adapted from chicagoist.com.
Find more healthy snack ideas at Cooking Light.