There are always happy smiling faces at the dinner table when our homemade Lasagne is on the menu. It is one of my kids favorite meals. Last night I prepared it ahead to have the time and watch my favorite football team beat the Bengals. Go Broncos!
For me a good Lasagne is made with Béchamel Sauce. Combined with Bolognese sauce and Gruyere it results in a heavenly dish. Just perfect!
I often use a shortcut for my Bolognese sauce since weeknight dinners have to be on the table in a more timely manner. Another option is to cook your own from scratch. I also do that, time permitting.
You probably all have your own family approved Lasagne recipe. I still urge you to give my Lasagne version a try. It is divine.
- butter for the baking pan
- 16 precooked lasagna noodles (I use Whole Foods brand 365)
- 3-4 cups, shredded Gruyere
- for the Béchamel sauce:
- 4 Tablspoons butter, unsalted
- 6 Tablespoons (1/2 cup) flour
- 4 cups of milk heated to the boil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- for the Bologenese sauce (quick version):
- 1 pound organic ground beef
- salt and pepper
- favorite marinara sauce, about 40 oz.
- 1- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- Preheat oven to 400 F Convection.
- Butter a 13-by-9-inch deep dish pan.
- For the Béchamel sauce:
- Using a wooden spoon melt the butter in a heavy bottom saucepan over low heat. Blend in the flour, and cook slowly, stirring, until the butter and flower froth together for 2 minutes without coloring. This is now a white roux. Remove roux from heat. As soon as the roux has stopped bubbling, pour in all the hot milk at once. Using a wire whisk immediately beat vigorously to blend milk and roux, gathering all bits of roux from the edges of the pan. Set sauce pan over moderately high heat and stir with the wire whisk until the sauce comes to a boil. Boil for 1 minute, stirring. Season with salt and set aside.
- For the Bolognese sauce (quick version):
- Brown the meat in a pan over medium high heat, breaking it up in small pieces; season with salt and pepper. Add the marinara sauce, bring back to a boil; season with oregano to your liking. You may also add some garlic or onion powder. Set aside.
- Assembling the lasagna:
- Start with spreading some Béchamel sauce in the bottom of the baking dish. Arrange 4 lasagna noodles lengthwise on top. Spread ⅓ of the meat sauce on top of the pasta, drizzle with ¼ of Béchamel sauce and sprinkle with cheese. Add another layer of pasta and repeat the sauce and cheese layers two more times. You will have three layers that include a meat sauce. Finish with Béchamel sauce and cheese for the topping.
- Bake in the oven for 45 to 60 minutes.