Beginning of the year my in-laws gave me their bread baking machine. It has been sitting in their pantry for many years. Thank you so much again Janie and Mike! I was so happy! We used to have the same machine when we were still living in Germany, but it broke and we never replaced it. I therefore completely got out of the habit to bake our own bread. Once home and the machine was unpacked I started looking for a great bread recipe and my friend Linea sent me her favorite. Thank you so much Linea! I tweaked it a little bit to our liking and to be baked in the machine. This honey buttermilk whole wheat bread has become a kitchen staple since then. My teens love it, too. It is fluffy, light and holds together very well for their daily school lunch sandwiches. What I like best is that it doesn’t have an endless list of unnecessary ingredients. This honey buttermilk whole wheat bread is easy to assemble and in the machine in under 10 minutes. A few hours later you will be rewarded with a heavenly smell and a great loaf of home baked bread. Give it a try. This honey buttermilk whole wheat bread is an absolute keeper recipe.
|Honey Buttermilk Whole Wheat Bread|| |
- 1⅛ cup (280 ml) buttermilk, heat 40 sec. in Microwave
- ⅛ cup (2 Tablespoons, 29 g) butter, unsalted at room temp.
- 3 Tablespoon (45 ml, 65 g) honey
- 1 egg, large
- 1½ tsp. salt
- 1 cup (120 g) whole wheat flour
- 2 cups (240 g) wheat flour
- 1 Tablespoons (7.5 g, 15 ml) gluten
- 1 ¼ teaspoon dry yeast
- Place first 5 ingredients in the baking pan of your bread baking machine.
- Mix flours and gluten in a separate bowl..
- Place the dry ingredients on top of the wet ingredients into the baking pan.
- Form a little indent into the flour and place yeast in it.
- Place baking pan into bread machine and follow the instructions provided by the manufacture of the machine. I set my bread on light crust.
The machine I use for this recipe is an older Zojirushi Automatic Bread Maker.