My daughter and her friend treated us with these delightful baked goodies one day during Christmas vacation. “Amerikaner” is a very common black and white cookie in Germany. They are available at most bakeries and I haven’t met a child yet, that didn’t love to eat “Amerikaner”. They have a very light vanilla flavored crumb and the chocolate/ sugar glaze adds just the perfect sweetness.
Bring your kids in the kitchen for some baking with these irresistible cookies we Germans call “Americans”.
|Amerikaner/ Americans|| |
- ⅓ cup 2 Tablespoons (100 g) butter
- ½ cup (100 g) sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 package vanilla pudding powder (Dr. Oetker)
- 2 cup 1½ Tablespoons (250 g) flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- a pinch of salt
- * melted chocolate
- * sugar icing
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silicon pad.
- Mix together pudding powder, flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Beat the butter on medium to high speed in a kitchen machine until light and fluffy. Add the sugars and beat for about 4 minutes. Mix in the eggs one at a time. Add the flour mixture on low speed and beat just until combined. Don't over mix!
- Put smaller equally sized heaps of dough on the baking sheet. Bake for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Let the cookies cool and glaze with chocolate and sugar icing.