With the warmer weather arriving here in Colorado, I like to leave the soups and stews behind and move on to nutritious and fresh salads served along side a perfectly barbequed piece of meat.
The other night while checking my pantry I decided on a farro salad with roasted veggies on balsamic pumpkin oil vinaigrette. I am sure by now you are all familiar with Italian farro, a nutty tasting type of wheat, mostly used in soups and salads.
I mixed my cooked farro with roasted cauliflower, roasted asparagus and tomatoes, vegetables I had on hand, and added some garlic and scallions. For the dressing I fell back on my simple homemade balsamic vinaigrette with the addition of some pumpkin seed oil that I purchased last year while traveling through Austria. Pumpkin seed oil gives any vinaigrette a strong depth of a nutty and very unique taste. I fell in love with pumpkin seed oil many years ago while traveling with my dad to Slovenia, There we were given a bottle of homemade pumpkin seed oil by my dad’s friend’s family after a dinner invitation at their house. Unfortunately it is not a very commonly used oil in the US and I have asked myself why, since you would assume that there should be plenty of pumpkin seeds leftover from the production of canned pumpkin puree. Don’t worry, pumpkin seed oil can be found in selected supermarkets and higher end food stores.
Mr. Rockies loved this farro salad with roasted veggies on balsamic pumpkin oil vinaigrette so much that he asked me right away to make sure to write down the recipe so it won’t get lost. This request speaks for a definite keeper recipe at our house.
I hope also you will give this farro salad with roasted veggies on balsamic pumpkin oil vinaigrette a try and enjoy it as much as we did.
|Farro Salad With Roasted Veggies|| || |
- 1 cup (200 g) organic farro (or organic brown rice)
- 1 smaller sized cauliflower, cleaned and cut in bite size pieces
- 10 medium sized green asparagus stalks, cleaned and cut in bite size pieces
- organic olive oil
- 3 medium sized tomatoes, cut in bite size pieces
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 2 garlic gloves, minced
- ½ cup balsamic vinaigrette*
- Cook farro following the package directions. Rinse with cold water and set aside.
- Place cauliflower and asparagus on a big baking sheet drizzle with olive oil and season with pepper and salt. Roast in the oven on 400 F for 20 minutes.
- In a big salad bowl mix farro, roasted vegetables, tomatoes, scallions, garlic, and vinaigrette.
- Season with pepper and salt.
- *balsamic vinaigrette recipe: ¼ cup (62.5 ml) good (sweet) balsamic vinegar, ½ cup 1 Tablespoon (140 ml) organic olive oil, 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) pumpkin seed oil. Mix (shake) all the ingredients in a marmalade jar.