Vanillekipferl are the only treat that can’t ever be missed on our Christmas cookie tray. They are known as one of the most popular Christmas cookies in Germany. Vanillekipferl are always crescent moon shaped and baked with ground almonds. I roast the almonds before grinding to intensify the flavor. After baking, the cookies are rolled in either homemade vanilla sugar or powdered sugar.
Should you still find the time to bake a few traditional Christmas cookies my recommendation would definitely be these irresistible Vanillekipferl. They are heavenly delicious! Happy 4th of Advent from my house to yours.
|Vanillekipferl – Happy 4th of Advent||
- 2½ cups (300 g) organic flour
- ½ cup 2 Tablespoons (125 g) organic sugar
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla sugar
- 3 fresh organic egg yolks
- 4.4 ounces (125 g) almonds, roasted and ground
- 1 cup 1½ Tablespoons (250 g) unsalted organic butter, at room temp., diced
- vanilla or powdered sugar for dusting/ rolling the finished cookie
- Preheat your oven to 350 F Convection. Line several baking sheets with silicon liner or baking paper. Set aside.
- In a stand-mixer with paddle attachment combine flour, vanilla sugar, sugar and almonds.
- With the mixer set on lower speed add butter and eggs to the flour mixture and mix until dough forms.
- Let dough rest at room temp. (covered) for at least 30 minutes.
- Form little crescent moons out of the dough. Mine weighed 8 g (0.282 ounces) each.
- Place them on the baking sheets and bake for about 10 -12 minutes or until the cookies turn light yellow.
- Cool slightly on baking sheet (otherwise they are too fragile to move) and roll in homemade vanilla sugar or powder sugar.
- Store in airtight cookie containers.