My teens have a long list of vegetables they would rather me not put in front of them. I know for sure that brussel sprouts make the top of the list or let me say used to be on the top of the list since last weekend.
The other day I served some grilled flank steak with these lip smacking oven roasted winter veggies as a side dish. No fancy time consuming preparation was necessary, just a mix of vegetables on hand that I tossed with organic olive oil and seasoned with pepper and salt. I prepared the veggie mixture in the oven until nicely browned and caramelized. This roasting method turns even the most disliked eatable plants-parts into sweet and pleasant wonder foods. Brussel sprouts lose their bitter taste, carrots stay crunchy, and squash turns even sweeter. At one point during the meal my daughter mentioned that she really likes the brussel sprouts today. I thought I didn’t hear right. My son ate all his carrots, which he usually pushes around until they end up, looking very unappetizing, at the edge of his plate. And Mr. Rockies ate all of his squash, which he only consumes when served in a pie as a Thanksgiving dessert. Voila, mission accomplished!
Lip Smacking Oven Roasted Winter Veggies became an absolute hit at my house last weekend. Give it a try and surprise your family with veggies they won’t be able to resist.
|Lip Smacking Oven Roasted Winter Veggies|| || |
- 1 cup brussel sprouts, halved
- 1 cup butternut squash, cubed
- 1 cup leek, chopped
- 1 cup green beans
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 cup parsnips, chopped
- olive oil
- kosher salt
- freshly ground pepper
- Heat your oven to 400 F Convection.
- Toss prepared vegetables with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Arrange veggies on baking tray in a single layer.
- Roast in the oven for about 30 - 40 minutes or until the vegetables or cooked and start turning brown on the edges. Make sure not to roast them too long, since you still want the vegetables to stay crunchy.