Sponge Cake Roll is one of the recipes that got lost during my blog move. An old picture, but still a wonderful treat that I would like to share with you. To me a sponge cake roll tastes best with fresh fruits, especially strawberries. I know that the roll in the picture won’t win a prize for its appearance, but my family gave it big thumbs up for its fresh and fruity taste.
This cake is a wonderful summer dessert that goes well with any fruit you prefer. I would also recommend trying it with raspberries.
|Strawberry Sponge Cake Roll||
- for the sponge cake:
- 5 eggs
- 130 g sugar
- 140 g flour
- extra sugar
- for the filling:
- 500 g strawberries, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 250 g low fat Quark
- 100 g sugar
- 200 g heavy whipping cream
- 1 package Whip it
- powder sugar for dusting
- Preheat Convection oven to 350 F.
- Line rimmed baking sheet with Parchment Paper. Set aside.
- Separate the eggs; with a mixer beat the whites and sugar until stiff peaks form. Whisk the egg yolks together with a fork and beat in with the egg white mixture. Sift the flour into the mixture with a spatula.
- Transfer the mixture evenly onto the baking sheet. Bake for 10- 15 min. or until the cake is baked but not browned.
- While the cake is baking spread a damp kitchen towel on your work surface. Sprinkle a thin layer of sugar on the kitchen towel. Turn the hot cake out onto kitchen towel, pull of the parchment paper and roll it up immediately; start with the long side. Let it cool rolled up.
- Puree 60 g of your strawberries and mix with the sugar and Quark. Beat cream and Whip it until stiff peaks form. Mix together with the Quark mixture and add the chopped strawberries.
- Unroll the cooled sponge cake and spread with the filling evenly. Roll the filled cake up again and let rest for 2 to 4 hours. Dust with powder sugar before serving.