Thanksgiving is just a few days away and preparations for it are in full swing at my house. Well, at least food wise since I plan and cook ahead of time as much as possible. This applesauce cake is a perfect example. I baked a double batch the other day and froze one to be served when family arrives. The other half is almost eaten. It was a huge hit with my family. The addition of the apple sauce makes it very moist and the combination of cinnamon and allspice is just perfect. Instead of just cranberries as the fruit part I added a cranberry nut mixture. It gives the cake the extra crunch.
I urge you to bake this applesauce cake any time over the holidays, for your friends or just for yourself. This is a definite keeper recipe. Easy to prepare and fast in the oven. Serve it with a cup of good coffee and enjoy!
|Wacky Apple Sauce Cake|| |
- 2 cups (240 g) all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups (300 g) granulated sugar, Kirsten used 1¼ cup
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda, Kirsten used 1 teaspoon
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoons ground allspice
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1-1/2 cups (375 ml), organic wacky applesauce
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup raisins or dried cranberries, Kirsten used Trader Joe's Trek Mix (nut mixture with cranberries)
- Confectioners sugar
- Preheat your oven to 350 F.
- Grease a 13 by 9 inch metal baking dish. Set aside.
- Mix dry ingredients in a big bowl. Flour through allspice.
- In another bowl mix wet ingredients. Eggs through vanilla. I did this with a hand whisk.
- Pour wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir well. I also just used a hand held whisk.
- Fold in the cranberries or nut mixture.
- Pour batter evenly into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 35 to 40 mins. or until a wooden tooth pick inserted into the center comes out clean. (Kirsten's was done in 30 mins. using 350 F Convection.)
- Let cool and dust with confectioners sugar before serving.
I love to support local growers. Even more so when organic. When I was approached by Wacky Apple regarding a sample of their products and a giveaway I was on board. Wacky Apple is a Colorado, family owned and operated company located on the Western Slope in the town of Hotchkiss. They have been practicing organic sustainable farming in the apple business for over 20 years. Their products include 5 flavors of organic apple sauce, 5 flavors of organic apple juice, 3 flavors of Flat Fruit (AKA: fruit leather), and seasonal organic fresh fruit! All products are naturally sweeter. Wacky Apple never adds sugar, water, preservatives, artificial flavor or color. Every product is made with organic ingredients.
My family and I had the pleasure to taste test all the Wacky Apple products. My husband’s favorite was the cinnamon applesauce. My daughter who usually doesn’t like nor eats applesauce fell in love with the mango applesauce. And my son, who takes applesauce in his school lunch frequently, reported right away that this applesauce tasted much fruitier and better than any other one he has had before. Both of my kids also enjoyed the flat fruits which I packed them for school snacks.
The rules are:
* leave me a comment on your favorite recipe using apple sauce
*share this giveaway on the social media of your choice with your friends, family or readers
* this giveaway is open to U.S. Residents only (sorry my international readers)
* the giveaway will close on November 29th, 12:00 am MST
The winner will be picked randomly and announced November 30th. Wacky Apple will ship the Wacky Apple Fun Pack directly to you, so please make sure to contact me quickly with your address/shipping information if you are the winner.
Box Includes: 2 Wacky Apple 4oz juices, 2 Wacky Apple 6.8 oz juices, 4 Wacky Apple 4 oz Apple sauces, 2 Cinnamon Flat Fruit, 2 Wild berry Flat Fruit, 2 Apple Flat Fruit, & approximately 5 Wacky Apple Jr. Flat Fruit pieces.
The winner of this giveaway is Debra. Congratulations, Debra. I will be contacting you and Wacky Apples for your price. Thank you all for your participation.