Today is the first Sunday of Advent which also means the beginning of Christmas time. I can’t believe that another year passed so quickly. Didn’t we all just take down Christmas decoration a few weeks ago? Before I schlepp the tree and all the trimmings up the stairs again I decided to do some baking, which I prefer over decorating any time. The decision on which Christmas cookies to bake first was very easy. From my last visit to Germany I had brought back some cookie molds that I wanted to try, I found them in a book store in Baden Baden while shopping for calenders for my kids. The cookie stampers called my name from the cook book section which I usually try to avoid, since I can’t buy all the cookbooks I would love to. I couldn’t resist purchasing the molds. They were so cute.
The molds came with the recipe for these marzipan shortbread cookies attached. Any mold cookie needs a dough that doesn’t expand too much during the baking otherwise the imprint will disappear, shortbread does this perfectly. I love the addition of marzipan in any baked good and therefore decided to try the given recipe. These marzipan shortbread cookies are very tender and have a fine crumb. The taste testers at my house were very pleased. I am planning to bake these marzipan shortbread cookies as gifts during the Christmas season. Aren’t they adorable?
|Marzipan Shortbread Cookies|| || |
- 2 cups 1 Tablespoon (250 g) flour
- ⅔ cup (150 g) unsalted butter, at room temp., (vegan butter)
- 3½ ounces (100 g) marzipan
- ¼ cup (50 g) sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg yolk, (vegan egg substitute)
- 1 pinch of salt
- Preheat your oven to 350 F Convection.
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicon baking liner.
- Place all the ingredients in the bowl of a stand mixer. Mix until evenly combined.
- Cover dough and rest in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Divide dough into 14 equally sized parts (golf ball sized).
- Roll in little balls and flatten them.
- Push the stamper/mold onto the flattened dough ball.
- Place the dough cookies on the baking sheet.
- Bake for about 12 - 15 minutes or until done. Baking times vary.
- Cool on wired rack.
- Store in air tight container.