I often find myself looking for a new twist on an old classic. Harissa spice mix meatballs are a tasty spin on traditional meatballs with a North African spice inspiration. The flavor direction usually gets decided after going through my spice cabinet, but in this case I also wanted to use up some left over curry sauce. Besides the Harissa spice mix I also added some fresh cilantro and ginger to round up the flavor profile. The Harissa spice mix meatballs complemented the curry sauce very well. I served them over some organic white rice.
I purchase my Harissa spice mix at a local spice shop, but you can also make your own. Find a great recipe here.
|Harissa Spice Mix Meatballs with Cilantro|| || |
- 1 pound (450 g) ground beef
- 1 pound (450 g) ground pork
- 4 eggs
- 2½ cups (140 g) breadcrumbs, (not store bought!), I made mine from fresh (glutenfree) baguette
- 1½ cups (200 g) onions, diced
- olive oil
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons Harissa spice mix
- ½ teaspoon ginger powder
- salt and pepper to season
- Preheat your oven to 400 F.
- Line 2 baking sheets with aluminium foil. Set aside.
- In a pan heat the olive oil and glaze the onions on medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- In a big bowl mix together the onions with the rest of the ingredients. This works best using both hands.
- Season the mixture with pepper and salt.
- Using an ice cream scoop form round meatballs of equal size and weight.
- Place the meatballs on the prepared baking sheets and bake for about 20 minutes.
Find more inspiring meatball recipes over at Cooking Light.
What a week. I just wanted to let you know that we are all fine and that the sun is shining again here in Colorado. Our town was not affected by the terrible floods here in Colorado, but my heart goes out to all the families and animals up North. If you are able to help, please find contacts through Help Colorado Now or the American Red Cross. Thank you.