While shopping at my local Natural Grocers store the other day I stumbled over beautiful organic Meyer lemons in the produce section. I just couldn’t resist and bought a whole bunch. I had never ever tried Meyer lemons before and was very excited about my purchase. Meyer lemons are a cross between a regular lemon and a mandarin/orange, are slightly sweeter than regular lemons and have a dark yellow color. I looked into several recipes, but decided on this Meyer lemon hazelnut tart since I love the combination of nuts and citrus fruits in baked goods. The crust for this tart reassembles a nutty shortbread and the smooth filling is loaded with fruit juice and zest. This Meyer lemon hazelnut tart is any lemon lover’s dream come true. I would highly recommend that you try this spectacular tasting treat. My family gave it big thumbs up and this Meyer lemon hazelnut tart will become an absolute keeper in my recipe collection.
|Meyer Lemon Hazelnut Tart|| || |
- for the crust:
- ½ cup (60 g) hazelnuts nuts, roasted and ground
- 1 cup (120 g) flour
- ⅓ cup (40 g) powdered sugar
- ½ cup (1 stick, 113 g)) unsalted butter, cold and cut into cubes
- 1½ Tablespoon ice cold water
- for the filling:
- 7 large egg yolks
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup (7 ounces, 200 g) sugar
- ½ cup grated fresh Meyer lemon zest (from 5-6 lemons)
- ⅔ cup (167 ml) fresh Meyer lemon juice (from 5-6 lemons)
- a pinch of salt
- 4 Tablespoons (1/2 stick, 57 g) unsalted butter, cut into 4 pieces
- 3 Tablespoons (45 ml) heavy cream, chilled
- powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat your oven to 350 F.
- Combine flour, nuts, and sugar in a food processor.
- Add butter and pulse until butter size has been reduced to the size of a pea.
- Add water and pulse a few more times. The dough should stick together when pressed between your fingers.
- Transfer dough into a 9 inch baking pan with removable bottom.
- Press dough crumbs evenly up the sides the sides and the bottom of the pan.
- Set baking pan on a baking sheet and bake for 12-15 mins or until edges start turning golden. Remove from the oven and set baking pan aside on a wire rack.
- For the filling combine egg yolks, eggs, sugar, salt, lemon zest, and lemon juice in a bigger sauce pan over medium heat.
- Add the butter.
- Bring the lemon mixture to 170 F (about 5 minutes). Make sure to stir the mixture while it heats.
- Pour the mixture through a fine-mesh strainer and into a heat-proof bowl.
- Stir in the heavy cream.
- Pour the filling into the prebaked crust.
- Bake the lemon tart for another 10-15 minutes or until the center of the tart is still slightly jiggly when shaken. Baking times can vary.
- Cool the tart in the pan to room temperature.
- Transfer to cake platter, cover (without having foil touch the top of the tart - I use a bigger ring of a spring pan as protection) and cool in the fridge.
- Dust with powdered sugar before serving.
Adapted from love & olive oil.
Find more Meyer lemon recipe ideas at Cooking Light.