Yesterday I made homemade vanilla almond milk for the very first time. Goodbye, you store bought almond milk, this is the ultimate! I found a new food love.
I wish I had known a long time ago how easy it is to make your own almond milk from scratch. I got interested in searching for a recipe after reading about all the unhealthy and unnecessary additives packed into most store-bought brands. The high sugar level in the vanilla almond milk my daughter prefers to drink played also a big role.
All you need is a little bit of time to soak the almonds, a blender and a fine mesh sieve. That’s actually it for the basic almond milk recipe. You can then add some vanilla and a sweetener of your choice like dates or good honey. That’s it.
I hope you won’t wait as long as I did to make your own homemade vanilla almond milk. This is an absolute keeper recipe your whole family will enjoy. Make sure to make a double batch!
|Homemade Vanilla Almond Milk|| || |
- 1 cup organic raw almonds
- 3 cups water (for soaking)
- 2½ cups water (for blending)
- seeds from ½ a vanilla bean
- pitted dates, honey, or another sweetener*
- Place almonds in a bigger container. Add 3 cups of water. Let soak for at least 12 hours in the fridge.
- Drain the soaking water.
- Rinse the almonds and place them in a blender.
- Add 2½ cups water and blend on high until all the almonds are ground very finely about 2-4 minutes.
- Strain the almond water mixture through a fine-meshed sieve or a cheesecloth.
- Keep ground almonds for later usage.**
- Pour the almond milk back into the blender and add vanilla seeds and sweetener. Blend until well mixed.
- Cool milk in the fridge before serving.
- Keep refrigerated and use within 1-2 days.
**I stored the leftover almonds in the fridge/freezer for now. I am planning to use them in a baked goodie.
This homemade vanilla almond milk can be used in the Fast Metabolism Diet plan on P3. For <20lbs the serving size is 1 cup for 1 HF, 1/4 cup can be a condiment.
Read what a chef at the Cooking Light test kitchen has to say about Almond Milk here.