Recipes I like is the name of one of my boards on Pinterest. This board is my collection of tasty recipes I am planning to try sooner or later. Nutella buns (rolls) with pecans and cinnamon, originally shared by Saveur magazine, have been saved there for a while and were up to be baked last week.
We are huge Nutella fans at our house and there is usually an extra jar to be found in my pantry. Nutella buns (rolls) with pecan and cinnamon sounded like a treat we all would enjoy. The rolls came out very light and I liked the recipe’s combination of the crunchy brown butter pecan mixture with the soft Nutella spread filled roll. Thumbs up from all the fellow taste tasters in my kitchen!
|Nutella Buns (Rolls) with Pecans and Cinnamon||
- 1 (1/4 oz, 7.1 g) package active dry yeast
- ½ cup (120 ml) water, lukewarm
- ¼ cup (50g) organic sugar, plus 1 tsp. sugar
- ½ cup (120 ml) organic milk
- 9 Tablespoons (127 g) unsalted organic butter, softened, plus more for greasing
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 organic eggs, at room temp.
- 4 cups organic flour, plus more for dusting
- ¾ cup (120 g) organic brown sugar
- ⅔ cup (70 g) coarsely chopped pecans
- 1½ cups (440 g) Nutella, heated just a little for easier spreading
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Stir sugar and yeast into the lukewarm water until dissolved. Set aside for about 10 minutes and until the yeast has developed a foamy topping.
- Heat the milk up to simmering. Let cool for a few minutes. Combine with 4 tablespoons (57 g) of melted butter, sugar, salt, 2 eggs and vanilla extract.
- In a bigger bowl combine 3½ cups of flour, yeast mixture and milk mixture until a shaggy mess forms. (watch*)
- Transfer dough to a wooden floured board, add more of the remaining flour and knead the dough until smooth and elastic, about 6-7 minutes.
- Transfer dough into a big greased glass bowl. Cover with plastic foil and let the dough rise in a warmer spot until doubled in size, about 1 to 1½ hours. (I use the proofing setting of my oven)
- In the meantime, melt 5 tablespoons (70 g) of butter and combine it with the brown sugar.
- Grease a 9″ x 13″ baking dish.
- Spread brown sugar mixture evenly into the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with chopped pecans. Set dish aside.
- On a floured surface roll out the dough into a 15″ x 20″ rectangle.
- Spread evenly with Nutella, leaving a ½” boarder on one of the long sides.
- Brush the ½” boarder with egg mixture from the one remaining egg.
- Roll the dough into a log towards the egg brushed end.
- Trim the edges and cut the log into 12 equal rolls.
- Place rolls with the cut side up into the baking dish.
- (I let my rolls rise for a second time until almost doubled in size to add more fluffiness. The Saveur recipe doesn’t ask for a second rise. You decide!)
- Preheat your oven to 375 F.
- Sprinkle rolls with cinnamon and bake until golden brown, about 30 minutes.
- Let cool slightly and serve inverted onto plates. Add some of the sugar pecan mixture for topping.
Adapted from Saveur.